Invitation for Proposals to Provide Fundraising and Development Services
Town Square Television is seeking a proposal from an independent contractor who is an experienced leader in nonprofit fundraising to join our team as a consultant. The position will work alongside the staff, leadership team, and board of directors, to help us continue our quest for financial sustainability by increasing our earned revenues and reducing our dependence upon declining cable company support. We have succeeded in growing our categories of “earned revenues” (sponsorships, fees for services, and donations) to 16% of our operating revenues with two employees working on these efforts. We are now ready to launch a more focused effort, using a contractor who will assist us with individual giving and memberships. (This position will not be expected to work on our grant writing efforts.)
About the Organization
Town Square Television is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation. The local community media station serves the northern Dakota County communities of Inver Grove Heights, South St. Paul, West St. Paul, Mendota Heights, Mendota, Sunfish Lake and Lilydale. Town Square Television produces award-winning hyper-local video content covering public, education, and government topics on cable TV, internet, and social media platforms, and teaches or assists individuals and organizations in producing and distributing their own video content.
Our mission: To provide local programming and public access to communications technologies and services.
Strategies for achieving the mission:
- Purchasing, maintaining, and operating a communications facility and equipment.
- Providing the public with access to the communications facility and equipment, and support such as training, volunteer coordination, and assistance in using technologies to communicate.
- Using the communications facility and equipment to provide communications services to the public, including information and entertainment.
- Creating public awareness and community support for Town Square Television as an essential community resource.
- Planning and preparing for change in order to remain viable in the future.
Overview of Services to be Provided
Town Square Television is seeking a consultant to focus on the development of a comprehensive fundraising, marketing, communications and community outreach strategy to expand philanthropic support for the organization. The successful applicant will assist the organization in developing and implementing strategies to meet its income goals, promote its brand and achieve its mission. We are seeking a consultant to provide the following services:
- Manage all components of a development office, including, but not limited to: individual giving and memberships, annual giving, planned giving, major individual and corporate gifts, fundraising events, and a marketing and communications plan related to fundraising.
- Work closely with the organization’s management team and assist the Executive Director in developing and implementing plans to accomplish the strategic plan goals and objectives adopted by the Board of Directors. This position will report directly to the Executive Director.
- Coordinate with all staff to supervise the completion of tasks and meet deadlines established in the plan.
Proposal Should Describe Consultant’s Work Experience, Skillset, Training, and Community Contacts Network to Demonstrate Ability to Fulfill the Following Duties and Responsibilities:
How will you…
- Develop and implement the annual development plan, based on a comprehensive fundraising strategy? (The organization intends to secure separate grant writing professional expertise for grant writing projects.)
- Set aggressive goals and implement best practices to accomplish those goals?
- Build and maintain positive relationships with businesses, churches, nonprofits, city/county/state staff and elected officials, schools, residents, and other partners, including corporate and private foundation program personnel and executive leadership?
- Ensure timely acknowledgement of all gifts? Assess our existing organizational database(s) and advise on any updates needed to best analyze donor data, acknowledgements, and tracking?
- Work effectively with organization’s staff and volunteers who will provide technical, administrative, and video production support?
- Serve alongside the organization’s staff and board leadership as a face and voice of the organization with the philanthropic community?
- Nurture teamwork among staff and volunteers, contributing to an environment with everyone working together to fulfill the organization’s mission?
The ideal proposal will demonstrate a consultant’s proven abilities to:
- Model quality in all written and verbal communications, including acknowledgement letters, letters of intent, annual fund appeals, speeches and presentations, etc.
- Think strategically and proactively about development and planning.
- Seek creative approaches to increasing the success of existing development programs.
- Have honesty and respect for the constituents we serve, and model the organization’s values. Inspire trust in others. Develop commitment in others by setting a personal example.
- Listen effectively and attentively to understand the needs, intentions and values of others.
- Exhibit timeliness, ability to meet deadlines and demonstrate sound decision-making. Be recognized as results-oriented.
- Show passion for TST and TST’S mission, and for serving those who come to TST for assistance.
Please Provide Documentation of These Required Skills and Experiences:
- Education/Certification and years of experience in professional fundraising
- Years of experience working with nonprofits, either as a staff member or a board member
- Knowledge about the communities served by Town Square Television, preferably residence or employment in the Town Square Television service territory, and contacts in the community
- List of past clients or employers who can attest to consultant’s qualifications
Please Provide Any of the Following Additional Preferred Skills and Experiences:
- Experience with sales or fundraising database system
- Experience in planning and working within organizational budgets
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, video teleconference platforms, mass e-mail tools, and database management systems
- Knowledgeable about, and competent with, the use of social media as a communications tool
Basic Requirements for Any Proposal Submitted:
- Must have regular access to a motor vehicle, a valid driver’s license, and evidence of current insurance in Minnesota
- Must be eligible for employment in the United States and in Minnesota
- Must be able to bend, sit, stand and lift up to 25 pounds without risk of injury to self
- Must be available to work occasional evenings and weekends, as needed
- Must pass a criminal and vehicular background check
Town Square Television is seeking to discuss a six-month or 12-month contract with the most qualified consultant. Proposals should include terms of payment, proposed length of service term (6 or 12 months), when the term can start, and a list of benchmarks that can be used to gauge performance over the course of that term. Please submit a proposal electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 29, 2022.